• Visit medieval Krakow, Lviv Bardejoy (all UNESCO) and Kiev
• Encounter friendly villagers & remote wilderness on 7 hikes in the remote Carpathian mountains
• Find remnants of Soviet Era including the architecture, cars & a Soviet ‘scenic train’ journey.
• Visit Chernobyl’s abandoned villages/cities overgrown with forests, reactor #4 (meltdown site), to top secret radar sites, the pinnacle of Soviet Spy technology and defence.
• Explore Dukla Pass with WWII tanks scattered over rural farms.
• Visit Oskar Schindler's factory
• Explore Wieliczka (UNESCO) Salt Mines
• Start in Krakow, Poland; Finish in Kiev, Ukraine
• Activity Level: 3/4
Journey to remote villages and mountains in a classic hiking trip, starting in the old Polish capital of Krakow. Ancient capitals, rural villages, stunning mountain ranges, lakes and rivers, museums, UNESCO churches and monasteries are some of the highlights you will encounter on this 17 day adventure to Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine.
One of the highlights of your journey will be the welcoming smiles of villagers as we stop in for lunch at a local home on one of our walks. Our hikes and travels take us off the beaten path where our local encounters are genuine and spontaneous.
We visit Oskar Schindler's factory, Wieliczka Salt Mines (UNESCO), a Carpathian horse farm, nature parks, castles, war memorials, opera house/ballet, schools and the worlds’s largest Jewish cemetery and much more.
We have the opportunity to visit Chernobyl, where we can learn more about the events of 1986 in a safe and informative setting.
Our Carpathian's experience concludes with a fast train from Lviv (UNESCO) with its medieval town, to Kiev, Ukraine's capital, steeped in 1,500 years of history.
FROM: $6695 USD
has guaranteed departures
Comfortable hotels with private washrooms. Please note: some remote hotels/lodges in Western Ukraine/Carpthians are not accustomed to Westerners. They speak limited English but accommodations are clean, comfortable and charming.
Several long walks.
Arrive in Krakow, Poland
Oskar Schindler's Factory, WW1 Cemetery, Rural Hike
Hucul Horses, Carriage Ride, Forest Hike into Slovakia, Medieval Bardejov (UNESCO), return to Poland
To Uzok, Ukraine via Slovakia’s Dukla Pass
Uzhok Pass Hike, Scenic Soviet Train Ride
Ukrainian Carpathian Scenic Hike & Villages
Village of Pylipets
Main Range Hike - Pylipets
Synevyr Pass Hike, Soviet City of Mizhiria
Synevyr Polana Hike to Kolochava Village & farm house Visit
To Lviv, Opera or Symphony
Chernobyl (optional but recommended) or Kiev Sites